I have a HIPPA question? Texas, but that is just where our…

Customer Question
I have a HIPPA...

I have a HIPPA question?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas, but that is just where our headquarters are. We sell in multiple states

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Can you tell me what is your HIPPA concern?

Here is the question. I need a clarification on a piece of information that we are unclear if it is "PHI". During a surgical case the staff in the operating room will document a case number ***** a document. It is just a number and does not define who the patient is or any details about who the patient is. This number is ***** used to bill with and we want to electronically transmit a document with the case number ***** it. Again, with no information about the patient.

Thank you.

If there is no way to identify the patient from the number then it is not PHI. BUT you can cover this easily with appropriate confidentiality agreements between you and your clients and you and your other vendors (if any).

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald