This was published in a newspaper... is this considered a…

This was published in a...
This was published in a newspaper... is this considered a HIPPA violation?
3/12/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help today - what section was that printed under?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Front Page!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was a smear article concerning a fire department.

Were you arrested for an opioid overdoes? Was anything related to your treatment spoken in public or in open court? Did your battalion chief speak about the situation to anyone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was not arrested... treatment as far as narcan being given is in the piece of the article I sent you... Tampa fire ran the call and it is unknown if it was spoken of.
However the reporter did contact several employees of Hillsborough County inquiring about issues he acquired through a public record request, personal information was given, without their knowledge such as phone numbers, addresses, and county email addresses for means of contact. Medical treatment is only a medical report and the patient should be the only person able to obtain that report.

I would say that is a HIPAA violation - but if that information was given out to a reporter or spoken about at anytime in public the HIPAA rights could be seen as waived. There seems to be a significant amount of gray area and unknown variables to give a clear answer. I would speak to a civil attorney near you and continue to do some investigation work.

I hope that answered your question and given you a direction to continue - can you please rate me with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer