Ray, I am back yet again with a question on family law

Ray,I am back yet again...
Ray,I am back yet again with a question on family law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if you remember the ongoing details in my complex custody battle with my ex. I am the one that had Primary custody, then after 8 years of being divorced, I found out my ex was leaving my son by himself on his visitation weekends back in 07.2017. My son is 11 years old and has autism and has to take medication daily so leaving him unattended and alone meant that my son accidentally took the wrong medicine and too much. It had been happening for quite some time before my son had enough bravery to tell me because he was getting scared, and then I found videos on my son’s cell phone that he had taken of himself taking the medicine because his dad told him to, to prove he was getting his medicine, and you can clearly see in the video that Tristan is taking too much of the wrong medication! I tried to work with father, and father only got very angry that i found out. When it came time for father’s weekend time with his son, i refused him time, stating that I was forced to file a CPS investigation and knowing the abuse, medical neglect, and the lack of supervision and my son being left for over 15 hours at a time by himself with father, I could not knowingly hand over my son to father. The ONLY way I would hand over my son to dad, would be if dad would promise to allow me to FaceTime with my son each night on his weekends with dad to confirm he was taking his medicine and that there was as least an adult present watching my son. Or I asked that if father had his weekend, but couldn’t spend time with his son, then to allow me to watch our son and I would exchange weekends or a another time for him to see his son so he didn’t miss his time, but also didn’t put my son in a harmful situation. Again, my ex was only angry that I found out he had been leaving my son alone and refused to work with me whatsoever. I did then withhold the child, under the direction of CPS, and an attorney that I had to hire since my ex didn’t want to work it out together. My attorney at that time was trying to get an emergency TRO, no contact order, and emergency orders for new visitation and custody agreement. My ex got angry and controlling and starting beating on my doors and windows daily for 5-6 hours per day, (I work from home some days for my outside sales job) Since it was summer, I was able to keep my son home with me instead of a summer camp because I knew if I took him to camp, my ex would kidnap him without permission. This daily harassment of 5-6 hours per day continued with frequent police reports, but police wouldn’t do anything, and multiple complaints from neighbors, until one day I couldn’t watch my son and work at the same time so I had to take him to his karate program day camp for only 2 hours while i did a work meeting. In those 2 hours, I got a emergency call from the karate staff stating that my ex-husband had shown up to the facility, waited until no one was watching and staff were in the kitchen getting lunch ready, and my ex grabbed my son and took him and ran with him throwing him on the back of his motorcycle.During that time the TRO and the NO Contact order was finally signed but my son was still with dad and father refused to return my son to me even though it was not his visitation period. Police would knock on the door and he would refuse to open. Finally 7 days later, my son was randomly returned to my doorstep as father quickly left in his truck with no explanation. I found out later the reason he brought my son back was because he hired and attorney and they advised him he was breaking the law and custody agreement and to return the child. But the damage had been done at this point. I had poured all my savings and resources into legal fees, then lost my job because the kidnapping situation caused me to be late to a work meeting, and they let me go, stating that tardiness was not acceptable. Then I was threatened by my apartment’s management company that they will not continue to deal with the daily harassment of my ex showing up at my apartment and scaring all the neighbors. They told me to either leave on my own free will or they would evict me. I was now jobless, all my savings depleted, and had to move out immediately. I packed and put all things in a Uhaul and I literally had nowhere to go. No friends would help because they were afraid of my ex husband and my family was in California. So without any other choice, I drove the uhaul to California. It at least gave us a roof over our head while we waited for our upcoming court hearing since nothing had been heard in court at this point. Before we could make it to the court hearing my ex found out i had moved, found out i was in California and filed counter motions that I had kidnaped my son and had intention of taking him to California so therefore, a judge issued an order stating I had to Immediately return the child to Bexar County. I took my son and drove 3 days back to Texas for the court hearing set demanding return
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Of my son. I thought for sure we would have chance to give. Testimony to judge and everything would work out. The judge said there were not enough judges and that she didn’t have time to hear the case, but then she made severe pre-judgements about the case, assuming were were both just reasonable parents fighting over the child and I simply wanted to move back to California and just broke the rules. She ordered me to keep the child in Bexar not matter what. I explained I had no place to live. No where to go. No roof over my head. she then stated, well...then you have to hand over the child to father....and then she ordered father to no longer leave the child alone by himself. That was IT! No testimony. He got away with. Everything and now I hand over my son to father when this whole thing started because of father’s neglect and leaving him alone and my son overmedicating.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to fight like hell to get back to Texas with the expensive cost of returning and trying to find a place to live. Was able to return and my attorney explained that the custody agreement had never changed. I still had primary custody, and father had visitation. The judge only let the child stay with dad due to the County geographical restrictions of the the current order. She said I had every right to return and go and get my son. When I tried to pick up my son from school, the school met me with aggression stating they were told I was trying to kidnap him again. I provided them my address confirming Texas and Bexar county address and told them that they HAD To follow the custody agreement which said I had custody. Long story short, my ex had parentally alienated my son so badly from me during the time I was trying to move all my things back to Texas that he refused to go with me and the few times I was able to get him to go with me, he would run away going to the neighbors to call his dad to pick him up. Etc. Then the behaviors got worse. My son would actually try to harm me if I tried to pick him up. He tried stabbing me with butter knife. he trying kicking my head in on the freeway. So with him so aggressive, I had no choice but to stop trying to pick up my son. He was so homicidal and aggressive. Well that only worked in my ex’s favor. Now he had time with my son non-stop and was now taking him to school based off of his address. Since that time, court has been strategically reset by his attorney since October to avoid any testimony being heard which just gave him more and more time without me able to see my son. This is now the questions.Now my ex has filed emergency court hearing for Tuesday of this coming week to order that his prior obligation of child support that he was ordered to pay, be removed, his current balance of $13,034.00 in child support arrears be removed and show at $0.00 balance, and order that I have to pay child support to him since he has my son now.We have NOT even been able t go to court and actually have testimony heard on the actually custody matter. The documents still state that I have custody, and that father has only been given time during the week of M-F for purposes of keeping my son in school but the judge reiterated that since she didn’t actually hear the case, that she will NOT Change the current custody. She only ordered that the child have intensive reunification therapy with mom. And in the 9 weeks that reunification therapy has been ordered, I have NOT been able to have 1 single therapy session with my son because father purposely cancels, doesn’t show for the appointment, or downright refuses to take my son. We finally had a court hearing last week on Wednesday to hear the custody matter, and my attorney asked for a reset because she had to have a tooth extracted and “was in pain.” She spoke to the judge by phone in judge’s chambers along with my ex’s attorney and my son’s amicus attorney. They apparently came to the agreement that reunification therapy wasn’t working so the judge ordered that reuinfication therapy be put on hold since it was not covered by insurance and father claimed it was too expensive, so the judge ordered have intensive “individual” therapy for my son on his own to help him handle all the stress because he has been acting out terribly...been suspended, expelled, and then arrested, then sent to mental facility and now suspended again and sent to mental facility again. All while with father, but when my son was with me for the last 8 years of my custody, he never had any of these issues. However, the judge only loooked at the therapy part, because my son claims now “i hate my mom and I never want to live with my mom.” But he is being threatened by his dad to say that.My point being, that no one is addressing the real issue of my son is being destroyed by my ex husband and no one has even heard the custody situation due to resets on court dates over 8 times. But yet, my ex now wants an emergency hearing for his child support to be completely erased and arrears to be erased and then order me to pay child support. I am currently unemployed, have no unemployment income, have been desperately trying to find a job and getting paid a very small amount to nanny for a neighbor’s family.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I asked my attorney what her approach for court was on the child support matter, she said that she is going to use the week that my ex kidnapped my son from karate back in August 2017 for her argument. That make no sense to me whatsoever. And she won’t communicate with me whatsoever about it. Yes, my ex was in the wrong for taking my son for the week and for harassing me and stalking me Daily for 5-6 hours daily but the judge I am sure is not going to see the current relavance. Would she not be better off, making the argument that the matter of actual custody has not been actually resolved yet, so to address the child support at this time is “Premature.” We need to handle the custody arrangements before child support can be addressed. And another good point is that I am not even getting child support from my ex anyway. The funds are being frozen and held with the ATtorney General Child Support Division while the cases in court are being heard.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Well first of all I see no reason to release funds that were due you from the past.If nothing else they should be applied to you support if ordered.Also focus on whats best for the child.Try for joint custody or visitation or whatever you think will work.I don't have all the answers here, it is goign to take a lot of counseling to mend you and sons relationship with father acting the way he does.Try to come up with some proposal here to sell the judge based on what you believe is child's best interest.Having contact with you somehow is really important to you and the child.Those are my immediate thoughts on what to focus.Arguing for those points are what you have to focus on, hope for the best.I cannot see you not having any contact is best for the child here.Please don't give here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Prayers to you here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tuesday they are only hearing the argument of my ex demanding I be ordered to pay child support to him.What is the best strategy legally to avoid that?

Two arguments, custody hasn't been determined and he hasn't paid what you were owed when you have child.He has unclean hands here as far as payment of support.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I won’t be backing down from fighting for my son. He is being terribly neglected by father and he is suffering in school, physically and emotionally, and father isn’t giving him his medication he needs for his autism just to cause him to be aggressive so he acts out towards me. It’s so disgusting. He doesn’t care about that little boy at all.But as for child support I need to be able to walk in with a really strong argument to prevent him from being able to argue “your honor, the child is so traumatized that mom took him to California that he does‘n’t want to be with mom even on weekends, therefore I have had to pick up “her slack” and care for the child all on my own and since I am completely supporting the child physically and financially I should be able to receive child support from her and she should have to pay my attorney’s fees that I had to pay just to bring this matter to the courts. I am just a poor single father with the low income of an LVN and she should support her son...And your honor, if I now have the child, I should not have to pay the $13,000 in child support arrears.”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is his argument and I KNOW that my son is not traumatized. HE is following what dad says because he is afraid of his father. Father is abusive and is 6’4 and 260 lbs.

No the arrears were part of an existing order and he has not paid you.You have done the best you can as a single parent and are still doing so.Tell him the judge you are willing to do what the court orders to have a relationship with your child.And that you are currently unemployed, etc it cannot hurt here.

I would also testify that he left the child alone and he overmedicated on more than one occasion endangering the child her.

Try to get some of these points in--what you believe ought to happen in the child's best interests here, thats what the court is supposed to be deciding these cases on.

Prayers to you with all of this.Thanks for the chance to help.

Law for reference

TITLE 5. THE PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIP AND THE SUIT AFFECTING THE PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIP

SUBTITLE B. SUITS AFFECTING THE PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIP

CHAPTER 153. CONSERVATORSHIP, POSSESSION, AND ACCESS

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 153.001. PUBLIC POLICY. (a) The public policy of this state is to:

(1) assure that children will have frequent and continuing contact with parents who have shown the ability to act in the best interest of the child;

(2) provide a safe, stable, and nonviolent environment for the child; and

(3) encourage parents to share in the rights and duties of raising their child after the parents have separated or dissolved their marriage.

(b) A court may not render an order that conditions the right of a conservator to possession of or access to a child on the payment of child support.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, Sec. 1, eff. April 20, 1995. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 751, Sec. 25, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 787, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Sec. 153.002. BEST INTEREST OF CHILD. The best interest of the child shall always be the primary consideration of the court in determining the issues of conservatorship and possession of and access to the child.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, Sec. 1, eff. April 20, 1995.

Sec. 153.003. NO DISCRIMINATION BASED ON SEX OR MARITAL STATUS. The court shall consider the qualifications of the parties without regard to their marital status or to the sex of the party or the child in determining:

(1) which party to appoint as sole managing conservator;

(2) whether to appoint a party as joint managing conservator; and

(3) the terms and conditions of conservatorship and possession of and access to the child.

Sec. 153.004. HISTORY OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OR SEXUAL ABUSE. (a) In determining whether to appoint a party as a sole or joint managing conservator, the court shall consider evidence of the intentional use of abusive physical force, or evidence of sexual abuse, by a party directed against the party's spouse, a parent of the child, or any person younger than 18 years of age committed within a two-year period preceding the filing of the suit or during the pendency of the suit.

(b) The court may not appoint joint managing conservators if credible evidence is presented of a history or pattern of past or present child neglect, or physical or sexual abuse by one parent directed against the other parent, a spouse, or a child, including a sexual assault in violation of Section 22.011 or 22.021, Penal Code, that results in the other parent becoming pregnant with the child. A history of sexual abuse includes a sexual assault that results in the other parent becoming pregnant with the child, regardless of the prior relationship of the parents. It is a rebuttable presumption that the appointment of a parent as the sole managing conservator of a child or as the conservator who has the exclusive right to determine the primary residence of a child is not in the best interest of the child if credible evidence is presented of a history or pattern of past or present child neglect, or physical or sexual abuse by that parent directed against the other parent, a spouse, or a child.

(c) The court shall consider the commission of family violence or sexual abuse in determining whether to deny, restrict, or limit the possession of a child by a parent who is appointed as a possessory conservator.

(d) The court may not allow a parent to have access to a child for whom it is shown by a preponderance of the evidence that:

(1) there is a history or pattern of committing family violence during the two years preceding the date of the filing of the suit or during the pendency of the suit; or

(2) the parent engaged in conduct that constitutes an offense under Section 21.02, 22.011, 22.021, or 25.02, Penal Code, and that as a direct result of the conduct, the victim of the conduct became pregnant with the parent's child.

(d-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (d), the court may allow a parent to have access to a child if the court:

(1) finds that awarding the parent access to the child would not endanger the child's physical health or emotional welfare and would be in the best interest of the child; and

(2) renders a possession order that is designed to protect the safety and well-being of the child and any other person who has been a victim of family violence committed by the parent and that may include a requirement that:

(A) the periods of access be continuously supervised by an entity or person chosen by the court;

(B) the exchange of possession of the child occur in a protective setting;

(C) the parent abstain from the consumption of alcohol or a controlled substance, as defined by Chapter 481, Health and Safety Code, within 12 hours prior to or during the period of access to the child; or

(D) the parent attend and complete a battering intervention and prevention program as provided by Article 42.141, Code of Criminal Procedure, or, if such a program is not available, complete a course of treatment under Section 153.010.

(e) It is a rebuttable presumption that it is not in the best interest of a child for a parent to have unsupervised visitation with the child if credible evidence is presented of a history or pattern of past or present child neglect or abuse or family violence by:

(1) that parent; or

(2) any person who resides in that parent's household or who is permitted by that parent to have unsupervised access to the child during that parent's periods of possession of or access to the child.

(f) In determining under this section whether there is credible evidence of a history or pattern of past or present child neglect or abuse or family violence by a parent or other person, as applicable, the court shall consider whether a protective order was rendered under Chapter 85, Title 4, against the parent or other person during the two-year period preceding the filing of the suit or during the pendency of the suit.

(g) In this section:

(1) "Abuse" and "neglect" have the meanings assigned by Section 261.001.

(2) "Family violence" has the meaning assigned by Section 71.004.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, Sec. 1, eff. April 20, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 774, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 787, Sec. 3, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 586, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 642, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Amended by:

Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 907 (H.B. 1228), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.

Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 907 (H.B. 1228), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2013.

Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 99 (S.B. 495), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2017.

Sec. 153.005. APPOINTMENT OF SOLE OR JOINT MANAGING CONSERVATOR. (a) In a suit, except as provided by Section 153.004, the court:

(1) may appoint a sole managing conservator or may appoint joint managing conservators; and

(2) if the parents are or will be separated, shall appoint at least one managing conservator.

(b) A managing conservator must be a parent, a competent adult, the Department of Family and Protective Services, or a licensed child-placing agency.

(c) In making an appointment authorized by this section, the court shall consider whether, preceding the filing of the suit or during the pendency of the suit:

(1) a party engaged in a history or pattern of family violence, as defined by Section 71.004;

(2) a party engaged in a history or pattern of child abuse or child neglect; or

(3) a final protective order was rendered against a party.

Amended by:

Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 219), Sec. 1.043, eff. April 2, 2015.

Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 117 (S.B. 817), Sec. 3, eff. September 1, 2015.

Sec. 153.006. APPOINTMENT OF POSSESSORY CONSERVATOR. (a) If a managing conservator is appointed, the court may appoint one or more possessory conservators.

(b) The court shall specify the rights and duties of a person appointed possessory conservator.

(c) The court shall specify and expressly state in the order the times and conditions for possession of or access to the child, unless a party shows good cause why specific orders would not be in the best interest of the child.

Sec. 153.007. AGREED PARENTING PLAN. (a) To promote the amicable settlement of disputes between the parties to a suit, the parties may enter into a written agreed parenting plan containing provisions for conservatorship and possession of the child and for modification of the parenting plan, including variations from the standard possession order.

(b) If the court finds that the agreed parenting plan is in the child's best interest, the court shall render an order in accordance with the parenting plan.

(c) Terms of the agreed parenting plan contained in the order or incorporated by reference regarding conservatorship or support of or access to a child in an order may be enforced by all remedies available for enforcement of a judgment, including contempt, but are not enforceable as a contract.

(d) If the court finds the agreed parenting plan is not in the child's best interest, the court may request the parties to submit a revised parenting plan. If the parties do not submit a revised parenting plan satisfactory to the court, the court may, after notice and hearing, order a parenting plan that the court finds to be in the best interest of the child.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, Sec. 1, eff. April 20, 1995. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 751, Sec. 26, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by:

Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 482 (H.B. 252), Sec. 3, eff. September 1, 2005.

Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1181 (H.B. 555), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

Have a god evening and the best here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I try to tell the judge that I am willing to do whatever the court orders to have a relationship with the child, he just continues to get away with alienating my son, so any time I have with my son doesn’t occur because when I try to pick up my son, he physically hurts me and tries to kill me. The only way I see being able to rehabilitate my son would be to get a judge to understand that my son would need a period of time with no contact with father of about 4-6 weeks. In that time, it has been suggested by the mental hospital that my son attend their day program that is from 8:30 am-3:30 pm daily for about 2.5 weeks. That would give him the settting he needs to have intensive therapy, to het back on the correct dosages of his medication and some time for them to start working and then I could have one on one time with him during the day in therapy and the day program setting so set boundaries and expectations for when he comes home with me from the hospital’s program. I would then need a few more weeks to get my son back into a routine and his medication to finally hit therapeutic does. Only then would I stand a chance of getting my son back to the little boy he was before all this happened. Right now they are letting father keep him during m-f and allowing me to have him each weekend but again he has so much influence with father and spends too much time with father creating too much time for dad to alienate him and keep him off of medication. And then when i try to get him he hurts me so i haven’t even been able to see my son whatsoever, because he has realized that all he has to do is verbally say that he will try to kill mom or run away so I never see him. :(5 years ago, my ex tried to alienate my son from me and wasn’t giving my son his medication and CPS got involved and they actually testified in court against my ex that they ruled “medical neglect” and “emotional abuse.” And that “this was the worst case of parental alienation they had ever seen from a parent because my ex had sent my son home with a knife at only 6 years old and told him to stab mom at night while she is sleeping. He ended up getting supervised visits for only 2 hours a week at a supervised facility. And that was the most stable I have ever seen my son. He didn’t have the constant negative influence from dad.And.....now my ex is doing this same thing all over again, and using the fact that i got cornered with no job and no home, and chose to go to California only to keep a roof over our head, as his winning argument to show I messed up. Finally in the 9 years we have been divorced, I technically violated the custody order by taking the child out of the county. And he is using that argument to win his case. And he has created a weapon out of my son.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your argument above references law based on determining the child custody matter, and I appreciate that, but that does NOT address the Child Support matter that he is trying to press. He wants “Temporary Orders” heard that I have to pay him child support and I am trying to find strong legal code or examples of prior cases and prior rulings in family law courts that show that his request for child support is 1. Premature and 2. He SHOULDN’T HAVE THE CHILD PERIOD! He is abusive and neglectful and is harming the child.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8220;Two arguments, custody hasn't been determined and he hasn't paid what you were owed when you have child.He has unclean hands here as far as payment of support.”Can you please expound on this? I am not sure how this would convince a judge to not order child support against me?

Well if he orders it here why not give you the money you are owed to pay it with.Or apply it as credit for yeasr or so.To give you time here.At least you shouldn't have to pay for awhile as you are owed these fund.See what you can argue for at least credit here toward support.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha. I was thinking that too.

I wish you the best here.Thanks again.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer