Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

If we both on the lease, can I remain in it and in the place

Hello! If we both on the lease, can I remain in it and in the place as long as I’m paying
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, there is nothing that would prohibit you from remaining in the property if the other person wants to leave as long as you are able to continue to pay the full rent.

.

If you are under a fixed term written lease, then the landlord couldn't terminate it and ask you to leave before the expiration date as long as the rent was paid and there were no breaches of the lease.

.

If you are under a month to month tenancy, then either you or the landlord could give a written 15 day notice to terminate the tenancy under FL law.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It’s a one year lease on the condo

Ok, then the landlord couldn't terminate it and ask you to leave prior to the expiration date even if the other person moved out as long as you are paying the rent..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Perfect! The other person can’t try to get me in trouble by trying to tell them to get me about of it, right? As long as I pay.

Nope, you are good as long as the rent is paid in full... You have full rights to stay there for the full duration of the lease as long as the full rent is paid..

.

If the other person leaves, that is their choice and you would actually have the right to sue them for half the rent if you had an agreement between the two of you that you would split the rent.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Awesome! Thank you so much!!!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much