I was released from work and is getting paid for two weeks.

I was released from...

I was released from work and is getting paid for two weeks. they have not laid anybody off and told us that they will let us know by the March 16. We had the contract with the VA. Are they obligated to give a severance in the state of florida when dealing with the federal government?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, because we are all still getting paid.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all

3/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand and I do not mind.

Thanks so much for your patience. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the law that specifically requires a severance in the state of FL if you are contracted with the federal government. The only thing that would be controlling is if your employment agreement specified a severance or if they just offered one as a result of the layoffs as a sign of good faith.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Some federal government employees themselves are eligible for pay, but not necessarily contractors. The Office of Personnel Management says that for a federal employee to be eligible for severance pay, an employee must be serving under a qualifying appointment, have a regularly scheduled tour of duty, have completed at least 12 months of continuous service, and be removed from Federal service by involuntary separation for reasons other than inefficiency (i.e., unacceptable performance or conduct).

Because I don't know the terms of your contract, I can't tell you for sure; however, I can make an educated guess that you won' be entitled to pay, but it is probable you'll be offered it. In my legal opinion, my recommendation would be to check your employment agreement for sure.

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, you have answered everything. Thank you for your assistance.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer