I'm from nc and I just need to know if I could have my

I'm from nc and...

I'm from nc and I just need to know if I could have my husband put in jail for cheating on me

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet

3/11/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Adultery is still in the penal code, but you would likely get more mileage out of divorcing on the basis of adultery or suing the other woman for alienation of affection -- a remedy which North Carolina, unlike almost every other state, still allows -- than by reporting this as a crime.

If the prosecutor wants to go forward with it, adultery is only a class 2 misdemeanor. So the maximum possible punishment is 60 days in jail and a fine. Any jail time would be unlikely unless he had a long criminal history. Adultery is rarely prosecuted anywhere these days.

"§ 14-184. Fornication and adultery. If any man and woman, not being married to each other, shall lewdly and lasciviously associate, bed and cohabit together, they shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor: Provided, that the admissions or confessions of one shall not be received in evidence against the other."

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Can my husband just leave me if we're not separated and can leave me broke with no money to live on I don't have a t yet

Yes, he can just walk out on you. As you are married to him, you have rights, however, You need to get yourself a family lawyer and go after them. If you can't afford one, there are pro bono clinics who do family law work and who will assist you.

How do I fine a pro bono clinic here in Bryson city nc

Here are some links to North Carolina's pro-bono resources.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/freehelp.cfm?id=NC

Thank you

Good luck!