MY BF is currently on AIT at Missouri on post he innocently…

MY BF is currently...

MY BF is currently on AIT at Missouri on post he innocently put a pair of earing worth probably 16 bucks he got stopped and SGT took him out we a little scare since he is supposed to be graduating Friday 16

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Today is Sunday and they are off he said tomorrow they going to tell him whats going to happen

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can he have prison for this?

3/11/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Theft by shoplifting is still theft by shoplifting, even if it happens on post. Unfortunately, while he will not face jail for this in all likelihood, he will face punishment such as loss of rank and fines and even possibly a dishonorable discharge.

Prison over $16 earrings, not likely even in the military, but he needs to be prepared for a court martial and potentially a dishonorable discharge as part of his punishment. He would be punished under Article 121 -- Larceny and Wrongful Appropriation. The commander has a lot of options after the investigation on how to punish that Soldier. It all depends on the chain of command and the totality of the circumstances as to what punishment he gets, which can include making him pay a $200 civil recovery fee under the Federal Claims Collection Act.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney