If you have a restraining order how does it last and is it…

Customer Question
If you have a...

If you have a restraining order how long does it last and is it renewable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ct

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Originally it was filed and year is just about up

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If you haven’t had any contact with the person year for the year and can they renew it and can they come into the town you live in

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/11/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

OK thank you

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your first question as to whether how long it lasts depends entirely on what the judge orders in the case. Many times, a temporary restraining order is typically issued with a hearing date set for later to determine if it is going to continue on for much longer. For most TROs, the minimum time is 30 days, but can be as long as 90. After calling a hearing, if the court has reason to believe the RO should continue, they may continue it for several years. If the time expires, then the party that petitioned the court originally can have a new one put on. Thus, the answer to your 2nd question is no, they are not renewable as the petitioner must ask the court to issue a brand new one at the expiration of each one. They don't automatically renew.

If you haven't had any contact with the person for a year, my recommendation would be to check the civil court records to determine how long the court issued the restraining order. It's possible that it has expired. If you have reason to believe the RO should not be continued, you can either appeal the decision or make a motion to lift the restraining order and base it on the fact that the people haven't connected for a year.

How else can I help you today?

Can it be waved just for the town I live in? She lives in another town and I don't want to be embarrassed and have police take me out of a bar in my town

If the court is going to lift the restraining order, then it'll be lifted completely. You could request that it be waived for just your part of town, but that wouldn't make much sense because if the other party came to your part of town, they wouldn't have protection. The court will basically treat it as either lifted or not lifted in all probability. I would start with requesting it be lifted. You can show that you haven't had contact in a year and the court is likely to grant it unless they said it was to be for a very long time (e.g. 5+ years). Did you have any other questions for me today?

Hello, I just wanted to follow up to see if you had other questions for me today?