My daughter 17 has to appear in court for a violation in…

My daughter 17 has...

My daughter 17 has to appear in court for a violation in KY 02128 - 02128 PERSON 18-20 USE/ATT USE FALSE ID TO OBTAIN ALCOHOL, 1ST. Do we need an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

KY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She is under 18 so I am not sure if it should have been 02129 PERSON < 18 USE/ ATT USE FALSE ID TO OBTAIN ALCOHOL- This is listed on their website as "Other".. Basically she was with a large group of friend while visiting a college campus and they decided it would be a good idea to try and go to a bar.. She tried to use a fake id to enter the bar.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just asking if we need an attorney- although the court date is tomorrow AM..

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. It is always in her best interest, to be represented by legal counsel. However, when she appears, she can see what the State is going to offer and how the court is going to handle this and she can then decide if she wants counsel and if she does, can ask for a continuance, so it can be retained. Moreover, if you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible.

Thank you for your help. We will see what tomorrow brings.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney