Found out our son was in the shu when we went for a visit…

Customer Question
Found out our son...

Found out our son was in the shu when we went for a visit 3/10. Later found out he had altercation with 2 black inmates was told by friends after a week they, guards, put him in the SHU to heal. why did they not put him in medical unit? Told our son did nothing but protect himself.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We live in TN but he is in FCI Forrest City AR

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of. I received a letter from son saying he has not been charged with anything bc he had not done anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was his rights violated for not given medical attention

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/11/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I do not know if there is a dead line for him to file a grievence.

Whether his rights were violated would depend upon the nature and the seriousness of his injuries. If they were serious and not adequately attended to, his lack of adequate care and medical supervision would be forbidden by the 8th amendment to the Constitution. It would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Corrections doesn't have to give an inmate the same level of care as he'd get on the outside, but they cannot turn a blind eye to something serious.

There's probably not much that the prison is going to tell you, one way or the other. They traditionally will give family the runaround when they called worried about sanctions. But he should be reaching out to his lawyer, because if this is a civil rights violation, then he has got himself a potential lawsuit, and he'd have to meet filing deadlines.

I am unable to find a date after which it would be too late to file a grievance. There are several ways to lodge a complaint. The easiest would be to tell his case manager or a counselor to start the process.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney