My daughter's ex girlfriend keeps accusing her of acts in…

Customer Question
My daughter's ex girlfriend keeps...
My daughter's ex girlfriend keeps accusing her of acts in emails. i.e. moved the car while she was telling her children bye, moved the car while the girlfriend and her 16 yr old son were in danger of being hit. The last was my daughter reached over her rudely showing back example to the kids. It seems she is keeping record of all, it an effort for what I don't know. My daughter has answered all emails saying that if that was the way she felt, she was sorry, but it was her opinion that was not the way any of these events happen. The girlfriend keeps saying she is not trying to keep my daughter from going to events. My daughter has joint custody. Could the girlfriend cause my daughter to be restraint from events? Could my daughter keep the girlfriend from saying these lies. She has the ex send the emails because my daughter asked her not to speak with her, or approached her car, house...
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. As to your question as to whether the ex-girlfriend can keep your daughter from going to events, the answer to your question is no; she won't be able to do so. Only a court could issue an order, based on reasonable evidence and a logical decision, that a person is restrained from going any place. The only other exception is if there is some law that would prohibit your daughter from going to events. For example, your daughter could not attend a police officer's ball because she is not legally authorized to go there. As far as other events that your daughter is authorized to go to, she can't be kept out unless there's a restraining order.

As far as what the ex-girlfriend is saying, this to me sounds like a case of defamation. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.)

Although I don't know the full extent of what was the supposed defamatory statement, run the alleged statements through that analysis to see if it fits.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising them to stop this activity immediately or risk a lawsuit. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

How else can I help you today?