Sold my car to what I thought was a friend in later

Sold my car to...

Sold my car to what I thought was a friend in later December. He wanted to keep the plates on the vehicle since he was driving it home to get it registered. He is suppose to be paying me monthly. He has only paid 1x and I am not able to reach him by phone and have only heard from him sporatically via text. My big concern is that when I called the county to let them know I had sold my car, they reported it had not be re registered. This leads me too believe that he is still driving my car around with my plates on it. I have texted him several times asking him to please contact me. He has not. What should I do next? I am concerned that he is getting tickets etc with the vehicle. THanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I am aware of.

3/11/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do you know where the person is now?

.

Have you asked the county if you can sign an affidavit stating that you had sold the vehicle and the registration should be revoked?

.

.

thanks

We think the person is in Chesapeake Virginia. But we are unclear of an address, and he does not answer his cell phone. We have reached out to a friend of his and asked him to contact this person regarding the situation. He has reported he has shared my concerns with him.I did not know I could sign an affidavit.
thanks
anita

Ok, then you may have to track down this person and either 1. Take the plate off the car to force him to register it or 2. retake possession of the car by repoing it since he is in default in paying or 3. Sue him in court under a breach of contract claim for the amount of money he owes you.

.

But yes, any offenses like parking tickets would be going again you since the car is registered to you now..

.

.

thanks

As for the affidavit, some states allow a seller to sign an affidavit after 30 days if the buyer hasn't registered the car and it would revoke the registration. So that is worth checking into along with one of the other options like suing the buyer.

Barrister, Attorney