I rented a car (mustang) yesterday while mine is in the

I rented a car...

I rented a car (mustang) yesterday while mine is in the shop. i’m on the rental contract, my wife isn’t. She took the car out & while parking hit a fire hydrant and scratched up the side.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I’m pretty sure our insurance will cover us since it covers us in any car we drive. Also, her license is clean.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To my insurance co only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. that’s it.

3/11/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am preparing a response for you and should have that to you shortly.

This situation sounds like a real pain and I am sorry you are dealing with it. The first thing I would do is check your rental contract. More and more often spouses are automatically allowed to drive a rental car rented by the other spouse. Also, you are likely correct - though I cannot be certain without access to the insurance policy and the rental agreement - that your insurance will cover any damages as the insurance generally flows both to the drivers and vehicles listed in the policy. And, reporting it to your insurance keeps you in full compliance with timely notice of claims to them. If the rental contract did not permit your wife's driving the car, the key will be to letting the rental company know you plan to take care of the damages, as that is the primary concern of those companies, especially when a third party who is not a listed driver is involved, as they don't have the confirmation of insurance and the like that they have on all listed drivers. Being fully up front with everyone involved will keep things more amicable and less likely to devolve into an adversarial situation. You may wish to confirm with your insurer - prior to contacting the rental company - that the damages are (or are not) covered so you know the full scope of the situation. Again, car issues are never fun - having them in the shop for repairs or damage incidents. It sounds like you have handled everything well so far.

If you have further questions, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your very useful answer. I didn’t really see how it could be more than a hassle and toun into a big deal, but I’m glad to have your thoughts.BTW are you a practitioner in nva? if so, please send me your office contact info. Thx & be well.

I am not in NVA, but lived there in the past. Best of luck resolving this issue; I hope it taken care of as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer