Our local government employer has written a directive

stating we as employees are...
Our local government employer has written a directive stating we as employees are not allow to be affiliated with motorcycle club viewed as criminals by law enforcement for example the Outlaws. Does our assistant county administrator have this authority? We are in Florida and it is a union full time job
3/11/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. The key to this question lies in the basis on which the government has identified a particular group as criminal. In other words, the employer could not just randomly select groups and then issue directives or policies prohibiting employees participation in those groups as to do so raises serious First Amendment concerns of freedom of association. That said, if the government has a reasonable basis to identify a group as criminal in nature, it may be able to take some action against an employee who is involved with that organization if there is strong enough evidence of criminal activity (think if instead of a motorcycle club the directive was not to be associated with a terrorist organization) so directing employees not to be involved is essentially preventing or at least providing notice that association with the organization may not be acceptable. I still have strong First Amendment concerns, however, as the link between the organization and criminal activity would have to be pretty substantial to justify this sort of directive. Since you are employed where there is a union, the union contract may have additional protections for you. For that reason, I would suggest you contact a union representative to see if there are any reasons as part of the unions negotiated relationship with the county that this directive may be inappropriate or in breach of that agreement. You may also consider inquiring of the employer what the basis for that directive is to better evaluate whether there may be a legal basis for it.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

The reason for my question is this they sent a directive not allowing county employees to affiliate with motorcycle clubs such as Outlaws, Pegans etc. one of our employees was recently fired for being a member of the outlaws (even after resigning). Now there are 8 additional employees who belong to the Brother N Irons Club, they (county)believe they are affiliated with the Outlaws and are now going after their jobs as well. None of members are violent nor are they known to be. Just seeking some help keep their jobs.

Thank you for the clarification. This seems like a clear First Amendment violation of your right to associate with whomever you choose. If this were a private employer they may actually be able to take this action, but as a government employer they cannot take actions that infringe on your constitutional rights in this manner. It would obviously be a different scenario if you or there other employees were engaging in criminal activity, or if there were other problems with your job performance. But mere association with a motorcycle club should not be a legally acceptable reason for discipline or termination. A review of some relevant court cases supports the position that your First Amendment right to freedom of association includes the right to associate with a motorcycle club. The U.S. Supreme Court said as much in connection with the Hell's Angels in a 1976 case called Elrod v. Burns. I would certainly consider enlisting the union's help, if they will help, in attempting to bring this issue to the employer's attention in that this is not a proper request - to disassociate - and it is not a proper grounds for any adverse employment action against employees who have done nothing more than affiliate or associate with motorcycle clubs.

Thank you so much ... that is a huge helpI have one more question off topic however pertaining to the same group... if you haven’t notice we are firefighters. Some of our high ranking chiefs have made comments in the presence of these members stating “there are some who are going to reap the repercussions of violating social media policies” while looking at directly at members. I believe they saw pictures of outings with these members and outlaw members at the same establishment and this is there basis for there affiliation even though we are all coworkers. Firefighters do have a brotherhood among us similar to military. There have been other issues with our administration releasing personal information such as personal phone numbers, addresses, and county email to media outlets through public record inquiry. This reporter showed up at a residence, called numerous individuals and wrote emails soliciting to speak with him using county email. Many members stated he told them “if you speak with me, I won’t be as hard on you in the article!” Could we not go after Harassment and Hostile work environment?

Those facts certainly raise additional issues and concerns. I would make sure anyone who appears to be targeted for whatever reason does follow any and all legitimate policies (e.g., if there are policies regarding postings on social media the employer may be able to restrict or prohibit certain such activity if it would shed a bad light on the employer - which is a bit of an admittedly fuzzy standard). With that though, harassment and creation of a hostile work environment are prohibited. What constitutes harassment or a hostile work environment requires several things. For harassment to be unlawful, it needs to be targeting an individual or group that is part of a protected class (based on race, gender, religion, age, etc.). In other words, harassment is unwelcome conduct targeting someone because of their race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, etc. It is related to hostile work environment as the harassment is unlawful only where one must be subjected to it in order to perform the job (in other words, you have to endure the harassment in order to continue working at your job) and it is so severe or pervasive that a reasonable person would consider it intimidating, hostile or abusive. So, in this context if those involved with only motorcycle clubs with members of a certain race or religion are being targeted, a legal issue arises. If the targeting is all motorcycle clubs regardless of the employees' or members' being part of a protected class due to race, religion, gender then it may not technically be unlawful harassment or hostile work environment under the law. That does not mean it doesn't give rise to a justifiable complaint to human resources, the union or both. The disclosure of personal information should be immediately reported to human resources or whatever management office handles personnel issues.

Our department is going quite a rough time. Our union is now offering some legal representation however they said they can’t do much bc the county has not offered up exactly what they have as far as evidence or reason for this investigation. They are asking these individuals to come in for questioning with these 2 questions in mind: Have you read the directive? Have you violated the directive?Any advice for when they go in?

I think there is no harm in admitting to reading the directive, but I think there needs to be some discussion with legal representation from the union whether you should or have to answer whether the directive has been violated. I think if the directive just came out and someone does participate with one or more of the motorcycle clubs but has not been to any gatherings since the directive, the honest answer can be yes, I've read it and no I have not violated it. But I think the employer needs to be questioned as to its legality and also as to the basis and legitimate business reason for it. This is a request that a union rep should make. Also, keep in mind that if any of you file complaints against the employer for this - claiming violation of First Amendment rights, harassment or hostile work environment, you are also protected by anti-retaliation laws - meaning that they cannot take adverse action against you simply because you filed those claims or complaints as long as your complaints are made in good faith and based on your honest beliefs and perceptions. This does sound like a rough time for the department and the more of you who can band together to ask the right questions and take your issues to the right people (you can always go over the head of one supervisor), the better the chance someone will listen. Again, this sounds like a very unfortunate situation and I wish you the best of luck resolving it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Are you located in Florida?

Unfortunately, I am not.

Attorney Wendy