I have a question about defamation in the work place.

I have a question...

I have a question about defamation in the work place. Recently a contractor for the city I work for spoke at a public meeting accusing me of colluding with another contractor to oust him. He also has sent a letter to a commissioner accusing me of lying and other various things. All of his statements are untrue. He has now asked for a private meeting with my boss so he can continue to tell her the other “illegal” things he says I did. (All his words.) how do I? Can I? stop him from saying these things that are untrue?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing filed. I have spoken to my boss and city manager about this but that’s it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that’s a good start. :)

3/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

This to me sounds like a case of defamation. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.) If there's no harm yet, then you won't have a cause of action; however, it's important to keep it in mind.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising them to stop this activity immediately or risk a lawsuit. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

How else can I help you today?

Please feel free to review... I have the transcript from the public meeting showing every accusation he made about me. He also accused me of distributing requests for qualifications documents to another contractor weeks before I sent it to anyone else. This is also untrue.I also have the email that he sent a commissioner stating that I withheld information to the commission and he claims he can prove it.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I actually just posted my answer. Let me know what questions you have about that:-)

I was hoping to start with a cease and desist letter. So thank you. I am good for now.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer