Lori! There is another matter that I was just noticing

Hi Lori!There is another matter...
Hi Lori!There is another matter that I was just noticing regarding my previous questions. This article states that I have to send a letter with 30 days notice for the landlord to either pay the interest on the deposit, or show record of the bank account (I have a verbal account, not documented that the landlord did not put me deposit in the account). Can you please advise on the process? During our last conversation you mentioned that I can just send a letter, but this article seems to state otherwise and I want to make sure I am covered. Thanks! Mistyhttp://www.lsnjlaw.org/Housing/Landlord-Tenant/Security-Deposits/Pages/Understanding-Your-Security-Deposit.aspx#.WqVU5ejwbcc
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney
The landlord was required to hold your security deposit in a separate account. 30 days after you move out the landlord is required to pay you your security deposit plus interest. He should be required to verify that he was holding the security deposit in a separate account as required by law. Your demand should notify the landlord to comply with the applicable statutes and proper verification to you.
Does that clarify?
Hope that helps.
Please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.
Ok, yes. So what I see is this. That I first have to send a letter to verify whether or not the deposit is in a bank account. That is with a 30 days notice. Then they have to either pay the interest owed, or they have to give me the deposit as the last month's rent. My question is regarding timing.If I am moving out on May 31st, and I send the letter to verify funds, as required, do I have to wait the full 30 days to send the letter requesting April and May rents as last month plus security deposit? Do I send both letters at the same time? I think I may have gotten myself into a bit of risk with the timing.Can you please advise what the best method is here so that I can cover myself legally?Many thanks!
Misty
We discussed this before, but we discussed sending a letter to request the last two months rent (last month plus security deposit). It escaped my attention that I had to send a letter 30 days prior to that for verification of deposit in the bank before sending the letter to request last month plus security being applied to April and May.
I only have verbal verification that the landlord does not have my deposit in the bank via phone call.
I recommend sending both letters at the same time. The landlord was required to provide the verification long ago but failed to do so.
Ok, so if I send both letters at the same time, then will I be legally covered in the event that I am making the request for April and May? I doubt they will turn this into a legal matter, but in the case that they do, I want to make sure all bases are covered so I can make this as smooth a transition as possible.
Correct. The first letter is just a verification; the second letter is the legal demand.
Lori
Lori, Attorney