My employer deducted 30 minutes from my paycheck for each…

Hi my employer deducted...

Hi my employer deducted 30 minutes from my paycheck for each day where I did not take a lunch break. The company recommends that we take 30 min. lunch break however I had advised my employer that I could not take a 30 min lunch break on those days on account of a heavy workload and tight deadlines. Moreover I don't know if it makes a difference but I am a contract employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My employer has also decided to pay employees 25% less than their regular rate if they are working from home. This applies to full-time (exempt and non-exempt ) as well as contract employees. Is it legal?

3/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. You may have a case of wage theft on your hands. Under TX law, employers are required to pay employees for all hours worked. An employer may deduct pay for things like insurance, taxes, or union dues; however, they cannot deduct for time that an employee worked. In your case, if you did not take a lunch break, but worked over that time, and the employer still deducted the money, then you may need to contact the Texas Workforce Commission to recoup your money. The law would require the employer to institute those unpaid breaks as a mandatory action and the law even allows an employer to terminate someone if they don' take a mandatory break, but if the employee works over that time, then they are to be paid.

How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you this is very helpful. How long do I have to file? Also with regards ***** ***** other issue I have mentioned can my employer unilaterally decide to pay employees 25% less if they are working from home? It has happened to me on multiple occasions lately. One of them being a major freeze which shut down most of the city and city officials advised people to stay home.

You're welcome. There's usually no time limit, but I would file immediately. An employer sadly can decide to pay employees less if they are working from home, but they must have some policy that states they have the authority to do that. If not, then this is just an arbitrary decision to deduct pay and this should be an additional complaint you should add into your other issue with deductions.

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My employment contract does not have any provision regarding being paid at a lower rate and neither does he employee handbook I was provided and required to sign. My employer just recently sent out a memo stating they would be paying less if working from home because they feel one does not provide the same quality of work if working from home.

I see what you mean. If that is the case, they seem to be taking money from you without any legal reason to do so. It's probably time you assert your rights. How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That answers all of my questions. Thank you for your assistance.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer