What action can a bill colector take to collect a bill i…

What action can a...

What action can a bill colector take to collect a bill i disagree with?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that i am aware of ;Only correspondence to me

3/11/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A bill collector is subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

The consumer may send a validation letter; please see:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2013/08/facing-debt-collection-know-your-rights

Essentially the collector must stop collection efforts until they are able to validate the debt.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

how can I get a copy of the list discribing the the regulations controlling debt collectors can not retrive mine. can you e mail me another copy harry ****** *****@msn.com

The complete act is here:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/fair-credit-reporting-act

This question may be temporarily closed from my view as I am requesting the site to remove your personal email to protect your privacy.