My brother and I are co successor trustees of a trust

Customer Question
My brother and I...

My brother and I are co successor trustees of a trust created by my father.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What tdo you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The house was put on the market but now i am changing my mind for now and want to hold off on selling . As far as I understand we both need to agree in order to move foward

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/11/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The co trustees are considered fiduciaries and they must comply with the terms of the trust; so if one co-trustee is refusing to comply the other cotrustee may:

1. seek a court order removing the cotrustee for failure to comply with the terms of the trust

2. seek a court order compelling the sale of the home, with the proceeds to be distributed per the terms of the trust

3. seek a court order precluding the sale of the home and removing it from the market

The court will typically order whatever the trust states to comply with the wishes of the decedent.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.