Not sure if you can answer this. It’s in regards to HIPPA…

Not sure if you...

Not sure if you can answer this. It’s in regards ***** ***** rules. Does it anywhere cover when a healthcare provider talks to their patient about personal topics that’s is related to another patient at that office? So basically the provider was talking to a patient about kids that got to the local school gave specific names and told personal issues but not related to services provided. However the kids that were talked about are patients at the office and the parents are to??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I was just told by a parent that at his visit his dental hygienist who I don’t know talked about my family and my child making false accusations that could hurt me and my daughter. Along with the other kids she was talking about.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just the things that were discussed about my 14 yr old and myself were that we were involved in alcohol being at my home at a get together. She also spoke of other kids. The rumor was NOT true. We are patients there

3/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, HIPPA guidelines generally prohibit a doctor from sharing personally identifiable health information with a third party without the patient's consent. The requirements have to be that a) that the information is personally identifiable and b) that it contain health information. In your case, although the dentist may have been gossiping about your children, if they weren't sharing health information, then it's not going to be a HIPPA violation, unfortunately. If the doctor does like to say things about other people, I'd recommend taking some further action to avoid this.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter and put them on notice that they are risking a HIPPA violation. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

No that’s perfect! I was going to reach out to the office manager next once I heard from you.
I appreciate it. The cease and desist letter, is that a legal letter or my own writing?

You're welcome! It's actually a legal letter in your own writing. It's just a template website I found a long time ago that helps non-lawyers sound a bit more like a lawyer. Did you have any other questions for me today?

No thank you so much!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Most certainly :)