My husband abandon me when I was severely depressed and

Customer Question
My husband abandon me...

My husband abandon me when I was severely depressed and physically disabled . I had no food to eat for days . Finally my daughter found out and helped me . i am 65 . My daughter believes that was abuse

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just to my counselor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband would. Of responded me when I. Allied for help and 8 months later still nothing. He told my daughter “ I hope she dies”.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/11/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your legal question this evening. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your elder abuse question.

Because you are 65 years of age your husband's acts are likely to amount to elder abuse and neglect.

There is a statute that explicitly prohibits this type of conduct:

"

1) It shall be unlawful for any person to abuse, neglect or exploit any vulnerable person.

(2) (a) Any person who willfully commits an act or willfully omits the performance of any duty, which act or omission contributes to, tends to contribute to, or results in neglect, physical pain, injury, mental anguish, unreasonable confinement or deprivation of services which are necessary to maintain the mental or physical health of a vulnerable person, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not to exceed One Thousand Dollars ($ 1,000.00) or by imprisonment not to exceed one (1) year in the county jail, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Any accepted medical procedure performed in the usual scope of practice shall not be a violation of this subsection.

(b) Any person who willfully exploits a vulnerable person, where the value of the exploitation is less than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($ 250.00), shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($ 5,000.00) or by imprisonment not to exceed one (1) year in the county jail, or by both such fine and imprisonment; where the value of the exploitation is Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($ 250.00) or more, the person who exploits a vulnerable person shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for not more than ten (10) years.

(3) Any person who willfully inflicts physical pain or injury upon a vulnerable person shall be guilty of felonious abuse or battery, or both, of a vulnerable person and, upon conviction thereof, may be punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for not more than twenty (20) years.

(4) For any third or subsequent misdemeanor conviction of any person violating any part of this section, the offenses being committed within a period of five (5) years, such person shall be guilty of a felony and shall be sentenced to not less than one (1) year nor more than five (5) years in the custody of the Department of Corrections and shall be fined not less than Two Thousand Dollars ($ 2,000.00) nor more than Five Thousand Dollars ($ 5,000.00).

(5) Nothing contained in this section shall prevent proceedings against a person under any statute of this state or municipal ordinance defining any act as a crime or misdemeanor."

You can contact the National Adult Protective Services Association for much needed help

http://www.napsa-now.org/get-help/help-in-your-area/mississippi/

Report Abuse of Seniors or Adults with Disabilities:
PHONE:(###) ###-####br />PHONE:(###) ###-####/p>

Besides the abuse that has occurred a civil action is possible to enforce support as a spouse has a duty to provide his or her other.

We are here to help so your follow up with me is important to me.

I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit when your rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill