I had a minor accident last year in July which ended up as…

I had a minor...

I had a minor accident last year in July which ended up as $8000 in repairs from the insurance. I had not reported the accident to the DMV. Is it too late to report it now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had reported it to my insurance who paid for the damage for my car and the other car involved. There was no police report.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it. I just realize that its a misdemamour if this is not reported. I didn't realize that before.

3/11/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - do you want to report the accident now because you are scared about the criminal charge?

What happens if it is reported late?

Generally speaking nothing will happen if it is reported late. The reason the criminal charge is in place is to prevent people from not reporting accidents and not paying for the damage. In your case it sounds like insurance took care of everything. If you were to report the accident now, the department may opt not to even write you a citation. If they would, it would be set for court and you should plead not guilty. In order for them to find you guilty, they will need the person you hit and if insurance has taken care of everything, they won't need to show up to court.

I hope I was able to answer your question and let you know how everything would go - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer