I posted an online review for a botched paint job and the…

I posted an online...

I posted an online review for a botched paint job and the provider is threatening to sue me. He did offer to fix it and we declined as honestly I didn’t feel safe

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No he’s threatening to file a restraining order etc Monday he wants me to remove it which I would to diffuse this but the website will not remove it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am working on a response to your question and should have that to you shortly.

Thank you

You are generally protected from any liability for online reviews as long as the review is honest. It sounds like you received poor workmanship on the painting job you hired this person to do. If that is the case, I would pull together any and all documentation you have - photos of before and after, the contract for the paint job, any payments you made to the painter, any contract with the painter, and any correspondence with the painter. This documentation will provide you a good record should he choose to sue you. The only real claim I see is one of defamation - false statement. If your statements in the review are true - truth is a defense. Also, when dealing with defamation claims (which include libel - written false statements - and slander -spoken false statements), opinions (versus facts) are usually protected as well as there is not truth or falsity to one's opinion. All that said, the danger with defamation claims of this kind is that they relate to the painter's "profession" which means the law - if your review was proven to be false - would automatically result in damages (money paid) to the painter. Nonetheless, if your statements are true and/or mere opinion, you should be good. Pulling together the documents and drafting a timeline of what happened will be useful if anything comes up in the future.

I hope this helps. If you need more assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy