INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I was divorced in Jan 2017 —- property settlement finalized

Customer Question

I was divorced in Jan 2017 —- property settlement finalized in Oct 2017-I am appealing the decision. Court held in Saint Croix County, WI Now my ex is taking me back to court for contempt — he wants me to sign over properties and move my belongings. My attorney notified the court that he is out of town and asked the court to reschedule. The judge responded Friday afternoon at 3:15pm that he denied the reschedule request
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can the judge force me to appear without my lawyer?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 months ago.
Judge cannot force you to appear without counsel but can force counsel to appear as scheduled. Counsel should arrange to have someone present such as another lawyer from his practice or an outside per diem. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My attorney left the state for a family vacation as he had planned on Friday. He is a “one man show” in his practice. Court is scheduled for 10am on Monday. Because he was planning to be out of the state no opposing affidavit was prepared on my behalf
To be expected to find another attorney to represent me on Monday seems unrealistic
Agreed but if the court is not adjourning your lawyer cannot risk having you show up without someone. That can be malpractice. He has to arrange for someone given the court order.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This judge has ruled against me at every turn regardless the evidence presented. Every document submitted by my ex’s attorney the judge has just rubber stamped it.
What do you recommend?
Definitely appear in person and insist your lawyer find someone to attend.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What are the requirements of an affidavit for wisconsin family court? Number of page, font, format, etc?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, is there a limit to the number of pages an affidavit can be?
No page limit but brevity is appreciated by courts. 12-14 font, times new Roman, double spaced.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When does the affidavit have to be filled by? Can I bring it to court with me tomorrow?
Can I file it electronically? Or can only lawyers do that?
Your lawyer should file in advance and n later than court date.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I said I don't have a lawyer -mine is unavailable I'm wondering if I should file on my own behalf to at least oppose it in writing
If lawyer cannot appear and file then at this point bring with you to court.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.