I unintentionally picked up a cell phone at a wedding last…

I unintentionally picked up...

I unintentionally picked up a cell phone at a wedding last week assuming it was mine hours later realizing my phone was in my purse. The detectives have been to my apartment searching for the phone but there was a tracker on it. Thing is, after I realized it wasn't mine I gave it away. The dectectives contacted the bride and groom and said they would return with a search warrant. Not to mention this occurred in another county in which I residence. Should I be worried?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Florida! No warrant has been issued

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure

I meant I don't live in the county where the wedding was
3/11/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill assisting you.

You would need to return the phone and any other belonging that are said to be in your possession by the police.

If you were to return these then a warrant is not something that will be granted by the judge as there will be no basis.

If you returned the phone then the law is that as long as it was genuinely accidental then there wouldn't be criminal culpability. You could be prosecuted if the believe that it wasn't accidental.

It comes down to the larceny statute, criminal intent and intent to deprive the true owner of his property.

Please follow up with me as required.

II'm an independent legal expert and get a credit when you rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

But I don't have access to the phone anymore

Yes, as I said police can try to recover the phone by getting a warrant in that case.

They would need sufficient proof that the phone is still in your home and if aware it was somewhere else then the warrant may be not be granted.

Best

Attorney Bill

basically I have nothing to worry about because the phone is not in my possession.

No, that's not what i said. I said if it was accidentally taken and given back to the owner you have nothing to worry about but would still need to defend your case if they charged you and employ a defense attorney.

I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit when you rate positively today.

Best

Attorney Bill

OK thanks

Your welcome, please take the time to leave positive feedback as this is how I get a credit for my time.

Best

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney