It’s about a situation my boyfriend is in. He operates

It’s about a situation...

It’s about a situation my boyfriend is in. He operates essentially as an independent contractor coaching professional fighters and one fighter he recently worked with doesn’t want to pay him, wondering if he has any legal grounds for suing in small claims court or something

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the issue is that they have no written contract only an oral agreement and he was not able to complete the last week of the training program but he wants to be paid for the portion he did complete and the client is not responding to texts or calls

3/10/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - Does your boyfriend train other fighters or is this the first one? Has there ever been any money exchanged for the training?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he has trained many other fighters for over a decade, this one he started with 11 years ago as a beginner and took her through the amateur levels all the way to becoming a world champion at the pro level. The industry standard when a coach is hired specifically to prepare a fighter for their next bout is the fighter pays 10-15% of the purse money won. This fighter has not paid my boyfriend anything for most of her previous pro fights but she did pay him for the one right before this one. This time she doesn’t want to pay anything because he has want able to do the last two weeks of preparation

Thank you for the information - the answer to your question is yes, your boyfriend can bring a small claims action against the fighter. He will need to bring documentation/witness to speak about the industry standard you have just mentioned. Also, bring the receipt or statement showing that this fighter has paid your boyfriend in the past. Just because your boyfriend was unavailable during the past two weeks does not mean he will not be paid for the work he has already done.

I hope I have answered your question and let you know what you will need for the small claims case

can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great thank you so much that’s exactly what I needed to know if we did have grounds for a claim should we need to pursue legal action. Happy to give 5 stars for such a prompt response as well.

Im very happy I could help you!

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer