We are looking for any requirements or limitations on using…

We are looking for...

We are looking for any requirements or limitations on using our home on airbnb

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Rowlett texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We hosted a wedding and someone reported that a street was blocked last year and we got a card on our door for code enforcement. He replied today to my email that someone complained about us having a wedding here at our lakefront property and the street was blocked so that is why he came by. I emailed him back we host many parties for both church and friends and we would be sure to make our guests more aware of where they park .I have not heard back from him

Thank you
3/10/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - I get this question a lot and the main thing that you have to worry about is your local city/town's rules and regulations. The first thing that always comes up is the parking issue. If you are going to host large parties or events, I would suggest a valet or shuttle to make sure the streets are not blocked. You can also go to your city/town hall and request parking signs that would allow guest to park on side streets or your lot.

You can also search Airbnb's website to make sure you are coinciding with their policies -https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/376/what-legal-and-regulatory-issues-should-i-consider-before-hosting-on-airbnb

But generally speaking as long as you are following are local and city ordinances you should have no issue hosting parties and weddings.

I hope I was able to answer your question - can you please rate me with 5 stars

We looked at all of those things checking to see if we missed anything in the laws. We can not see anything against it.
I am not satisfied with the very vague answer provided
I actually sent you the file for the city here that explains the laws here. You don't even have to look it up yourself

okay - what specifically would you like to know - the ordinance you sent me is for someone using a home/rental property for that specific purpose. Airbnb is not classified under a rental property

I lost you and the thread ?
Are you there?

Yes I am here - Airbnb does not require you to file your home as a rental property. The village laws that you sent me do not speak to Airbnb, but to specific properties being used as rental properties.

I want to make sure the city ordinance files I sent you do or th say anything abbout hosting small gatherings for compensation through airbnb. There is something questionable in one of the sub points under sec 10-408 violations
Please do for me under sec 10-408 there as mentioned above. It states something along the lines of rental property where homeower resides there onsite and has less than 4 rooms for compensation to transient people.
The file for city of Rowlett file is where that which I referred to above

The ordinance that you sent and I have reviewed only speaks to specific property that is used as rental property. It is my understanding that you want to use your personal home for Airbnb. That would not require you to seek a license for a rental property, thus, the ordinance does not apply to you.

Also, section 10-408 provides defenses to landlords.

We have also looked on the city website for anything against parties on our property and were not able to find anything regarding needing any permits or licenses for that as well
Can you review there as well please? www.rowlett.com we cannot locate anything stating we would need anything to conduct gatherings for parties
I just want to be prepared for when I speak to the city ordinance guy and or see his response to my email. If he asks if we are renting our home as a business for weddings or whatnot, should I be weary?

unfortunately I can only answer the question that was originally posted - you can personally message me if you would like me to review another question concerning permits.

From the ordinance you sent me you do not need to be weary of the city ordinance inspector.

Ok. That is fine

I'm happy I could help you today

could you please rate me with 5 stars

Ok so how do we reconnect for the next issue or question regarding permits or licenses for having parties or gatherings of any size per the city website or city info?
does that happen after the chat?

You can favorite me as your expert and then you can send me as many specific questions as you like

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
we would like to reconnect about the party license or permit requirements
Ok. Looking where to favorite you