I own a professional pet boarding facility and feel I have…

I own a professional...

I own a professional pet boarding facility and feel I have an animal that has been abandoned by its owner. We are unable to get a response and went to her home which is empty. I understand Florida abandonment laws and what I can legally do but can the owner get charged with abandonment and what would those charges be...i.e. misdemeanor??? What could the punishment be, fines, imprisonment. I would like this information so when I send the final notice I can include such language in the ho[pes of her coming and getting her pet

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you

3/10/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is animal cruelty and it is a misdemeanor punished by up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $5000. Is it prosecuted, it depends on the city/county, but in most areas of FL it is indeed prosecuted and the average penalty is probation and a fine of about $2000 in most normal cases. It is cruelty to animals under FS 828.12

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.