Can a DMV employee be liable or deemed negligent on the 1983…

Customer Question
Can a DMV employee...

Can a DMV employee be liable or deemed negligent on the 1983 for causing a (deliberate) (indifferent) to someone vehicle parked in a handicap accessible parking space on DMV property? Respectfully Requested

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

VA DMV. 2010 Toyota Camry.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The DMV employee, conducted a driver's test with a customer on DMV property in a uninsured vehicle, which upon completion of that driving class the uninsured vehicle damaged my personal property which was parked in a handicap parking space on DMV property. I'm certain that you know the policies & procedures for obtaining a driver's permit & using someone else's personal car to do so.? I know the uninsured vehicle is liable shouldn't the DMV employee be liable for deliberate indifference and violating the DMV policy & procedures relating to the statements herein. I feel that it is not right that I have to pay the $500 deductible, because of someone else's negligence, Within the Virginia DMV.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. It can be pursued against the agency and employee.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as I see you opted out your previous contributor. I have no idea what your previous contributor was telling you, I apologize.

First off, legally, the driver of the vehicle and owner of the vehicle are liable for the driver causing damage to your vehicle. DMV is not liable for the driver causing harm. The driver and owner are liable. Now, DMV is negligent in not checking the insurance and registration on the vehicle before allowing someone to take the test in the car, but legally that does not make DMV liable for the accident, as they did not cause the accident, the driver did.

So, you can sue the driver in small claims without an attorney and seek to get your reimbursement.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.