I have a vehicle registered to myself and my ex boyfriend is…

Customer Question
I have a vehicle...

I have a vehicle registered to myself and my ex boyfriend is playing keep-away what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

It is in North Dakota and a 2001 Chevy Tahoe

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet I wanted to avoid any possible jail time for him

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Just to clarify, the truck is titled to both of you, correct?

Do you know where it is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The title is just in my name and he has it at his house or his new girlfriend's house
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the title

Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately, the criminal justice system is not going to be able to help you. The reason is that when you voluntarily give someone your property it is not considered a crime (theft) if they refuse to return it. It is a civil matter.

Assuming you cannot find it parked on a street somewhere and just drive it away, you will need to file a petition, in the county where this friend lives, requesting a the court issue a writ of replevin.

That is an order commanding someone return property, they came into lawful possession of, to the rightful owner. If they refuse the court can hold them in contempt and fine or even jail them.

The court can also award you money damages for your loss of use.

While it is possible to proceed pro se, equitable remedies can get complicated and an attorney is recommended.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you there was an easier way, but I do not want you spinning your wheels, so to speak.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney