FOR LORI ONLY: So he finally responded to my texts this

Customer Question
FOR LORI ONLY:So he finally...
FOR LORI ONLY:So he finally responded to my texts this morning. He claims that I gave him those records and (like I said) he brought up the cost of buying the boxes, the rental of the truck and the labor. He's claiming that I agreed to open the boxes only if he can have the records. Clearly untrue. He asked me at least three times to open the boxes stating that his landlord was complaining about the boxes in his room. Why would I agree to open them if (at the time, I was unemployed) considering selling them? If I did say he can have them, it was when I was dead and he and two other friends of mine can go through them and take what they want. I never, ever gave him full ownership. I'm not dead yet and I'm back on my feet employment wise and I have space to store them. It's been 7 years...I never forgotten about them. I just wasn't able to house them all at that time. I spent a lifetime collecting those records, I know I would not have given them up so easily. Could he use what he claims I said could carry weight in court to keep them? There was no contract between us...he helped me when I was in dire straits but I never once said he can have them.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

He will try to claim that they were a gift but he will have a very hard time given the circumstances. He has not proof of ownership or gift. Therefore, you are the rightful owner. If he fails to return them, you will be able to get damages from him for keeping them after demand. The most he will be entitled to is something for picking them up and storing them for you. He did not have to come out of pocket to store the records, his labor was free.

Time to file suit!