Can a reeal estate agent in the State of Illinois give out…

Customer Question
Can a reeal estate...

Can a reeal estate agent in the State of Illinois give out specific information regarding school attendance: e.g. Shite 68%; Black 2%; Gusoabuc 16%; Asiann 11%; American Indian 0% in her brochures that she makes available to prospective purchasrers

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois, County of Cook

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Yes this sounds like public information.Legally they can do so, the public has this available to them.I see not problem with it if they feel it will help them sell the properties.Certainly its legal to do so since the public and schools keep these numbers for public use. It is common to do so.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's interesting to hear your reply - Supposedly we have answers that we are NOT allowed to dissiminate that information ==
it is a violation of the Fair Housing Act !!!
It's difficult when you get opinions to know what to do legally and ethically.
Thank you.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Here are several you can refer clients to if they want school information.If its public information here you are just allowing them access to whats out there.

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Schools/Cook_county_IL_public_schools_website-386942

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

I don't see that this falls under the Act as far as prohibited activities

What are the generally prohibited activities in real estate transactions under the Illinois Human Rights Act?

• Refusing to engage in a real estate transaction;
  • Altering the terms or conditions or privileges of the transaction or in the furnishing of facilities or connected services;
  • Refusing to receive or transmit a bona fide offer in a transaction;
  • Misrepresenting the availability of property for inspection, rental or sale when in fact the property is available;
  • Failing to disclose property listings;
  • Circulating written material that indicates directly or indirectly intent to commit unlawful discrimination;
  • Expressing orally or in writing an intent to directly or indirectly engage in unlawful discrimination;
  • Offering, soliciting, accepting, using or retaining a listing knowing unlawful discrimination is intended;
  • Blockbusting, racial steering, panic peddling or using restrictive covenants;
  • Discriminatory mortgage or lending practices by a financial institution.

You are just giving out information here, how people choose to use it is their problem.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer