My mother-in-law will be moving out of state next month and…

Good morning. My...

Good morning. My mother-in-law will be moving out of state next month and we are wondering if her son sells her house after she moves, will she need a POA for her son to be able to sign for the house sale or can she just write out her wishes and have it notarized?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. We are hoping to sell the house before she moves, but just in case, we are wondering what legal papers we need.

3/10/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, her son will need POA and it will need to be specific, as to the scope of what he is able to do and its relation to the sale of the home and signing any legal documents, for it to happen. She should speak with local counsel, who can draft the POA, so it is in compliance with what a lender will want and require, so there are no issues but a signed paper that is notarized, will not suffice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. That is exactly what we needed to know. She cannot afford to pay high priced lawyers. Is there a legal service she could use for a little money?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This communication is fine.

You are welcome. For a POA like this, it may be a few hundred dollars for an attorney to draft or she could use a site like legalzoom.com to obtain the documents. Of course, she needs to speak with her lender and that for any buyer, just to see what is required and what specific language they may want. They may even have the forms, so she may want to wait and see. She can list it and hire a realtor. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney