Can an attorney force you to turn over emails and text

Can an attorney force...

Can an attorney force you to turn over emails and text messages without a court order signed by a judge?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I received a cease and desist order stating I must turn over my emails and text messages

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The case is a divorce between my ex husband and his current wife

3/10/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the rules of discovery, if you are a party to the case and a request for production is made to you for the emails, no court order is required. If you are not a party to the case, as it seems you are not, then they must serve you a subpoena for the records they are seeking and you do not need to voluntarily hand them over.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.