I phoned my sisters Dr with concerns of her excessive

I phoned my sisters...

I phoned my sisters Dr with concerns of her excessive prescribed and recreational drug use while driving one week post op from a knee replacement. HE followed the Hippa laws (not revealing that she was indeed his patient). Two weeks later, the office phoned my sister and revealed my name as the concerned party. Do I have any recourse for this action?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The patient lives in Arizona.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge. I initially called the MESA crises line and was told to call the police the next time she was phoning me while driving. OR, I could call her Dr.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m worried about my safety for possible retaliation from her sons.

3/10/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Are you asking if revealing your identity was a HIPAA violation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I am not the patient, I didn’t think Hippa applied to me. Do I have any privacy rights that were violated?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m feeling uncertain of this process. I would like to cancel.
Ok. No problem.
Let me know if you would like an answer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I am unable to sleep... Let’s talk!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I mean let’s continue chatting on line.
Ok. Give me a moment to retype my answer.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.You are correct that there is no HIPAA involvement here.
Also, by making the call to her doctor, he then had to report the suspected drug abuse possibly involving drugs he was prescribing or risk losing his prescribing or medical license.
So, there was no inherent privacy right in you calling. The doctor had no legal obligation to not disclose your name because you were not his patient and there is no other law regarding privacy which would come close to applying in this situation.I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you still online with me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I anticipated this response. When the NEWS has been pleading, “See something, say something” they don’t warn of the unexpected consequences. My actions are having a ripple effect througout the family but maybe, just maybe, I helped prevent someone from harm.
You did the right thing. What you did was done because you cared and you did not want a tragedy occurring.
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney