My buddy was accused of beating up a woman at gunpoint and…

My buddy was accused...

My buddy was accused of beating up a woman at gunpoint and the woman admitted to me on the phone that he didnt have a gun..He was chargd and jailed. She had a 52B against him, Yet she keeps texting him and me to get him jailed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, He was jailed a 2nd time in Alamance County for texting her back. Hes facing 400 days in jail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Bond was 500. The first time and 4000. The 2nd.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His court date is in 5 days. The court assigned him a public defender and the defender met with the woman filing the charges and told her his plan. Now he wont return my buddy s calls.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I put my buddy on to explain the details
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We will get back in touch with you tomorrow. Its late and we need rest. Is that ok?
3/10/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Yes, you can come back to this chat thread at a later time. When you do, please ask the question that you wish to have answered about this situation.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are in NC.
They charged him with obstructing justice. He didnt do that or any other charges brought against him. What is obstructing justice?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it not wrong for the attorney to meet with the person pressing charges without my friend being present?

What is obstructing justice?

Obstructing justice broadly defined is to take some action to prevent or impede the course of a criiminal investigation or case. In North Carolina, article 30 of your penal law lists the various different crimes that constitute the obstruction of justice. I don't know which one applies to him, but here's the law that you can look at:

https://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_30.pdf

It is perfectly proper for a defense attorney to talk to the complainant on a criminal case, so long as the complainant knows that he's representing the defendant and is still willing to talk to them.

Defense attorneys or their investigators reach out to them for various reasons: to find out, for example, how serious the complainant is about pressing charges, and/or to get as much information as they can about what the complainant is going to say on the stand so that if he changes his story, he can be impeached with his own statements to the investigator. The defendant is never there at such a time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another friend has 16 months minimum sentence to prison. The Judge checks box ne xt to payment as condition of post release supervision or from work release earnings. Also checked is the court recommends substance abuse treatment. And work release, and should. Then paper states defendent shall be given 66 days credit for confinement prior to the date of this judgement. How much time does he have left in prison?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can he get out sooner if payment in full is made?

I'm sorry but per site rules, if you want to ask a question on an entirely different issue, you have to post that on a new question thread and open it to all experts. This question was about obstruction of justice and legal ethics and it was answered .

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

You're welcome.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney