I just start to shoplifting in January to now in Walmart.

I just start to...

I just start to shoplifting in January to now in Walmart. But the items i took just grocery, vegetable and fruits. I come not usually. About 1 or 2 times per week. The total money i don’t pay to walmart from January to now maybe i think is less than 1000$. Today i got caught by the security in Walmart. I give them name and my ID. They called police come and ask me some questions. I don’t have to come to the police office with them but they give me a traffic ticket ( i don’t know why they give me the paper traffic ticket). In the traffic ticket i read i see my mistake is shoplifting and i have to go to talk with judge( or someone else) on the day in the paper. I’m just a student come here for training and next month i will be going home. Will i be send home after this mistake ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Have you read my message i text you before

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just connect me to the lawyer

3/10/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

You were issued a "citation to appear" in court. Instead of physically arresting you, taking you to the police station, booking you in, etc., the police instead wrote you a ticket, but that ticket acts as your "arrest" for shoplifting, which is why you must go to court. The first appearance, however is not typically the resolution of the case - instead it is where you would hear the charge against you and the judge asks whether you wish to plead guilty or not guilty. Typically, most people plead not guilty and then the case is put on the court's schedule for a later date. It can take several court appearances to resolve.

I can tell you that under Arizona law, talking items worth less than $1,000 in value is a Class 1 misdemeanor. A conviction can result in up to 6 months in jail, a large fine/court costs, and up to 3 years probation. For a first offense, it would be very unlikely that any jail time would be given.

Although theft crimes can be considered a "crime of moral turpitude" (CMT) and in many cases can lead to deportation, because the possible maximum sentence for the crime given the facts is less than a year in jail, even if you are found guilty, you cannot be deported for it. Conviction or admission of a CMT such as shoplifting can also make you inadmissible to the United States. Inadmissibility plays a role when you apply for a visa, apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident status, apply for a change of nonimmigrant status or attempt to re-enter the United States. You may be able to again, get an exception because the maximum possible sentence you face is under a year in jail, but given your status in the United States, it is a good idea that you speak with a local immigration attorney before your court date (many offer free or low cost consultations).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But i just stolen some of the vegetable in the store so i still have to go to the jail ?

I doubt very much that a judge would give you any jail time, but it is still considered theft, regardless of how little value the item you are alleged to have taken cost, and you do still need to go to court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still have 1 month more to go back to my country so if the day i come to talk with judge, will the judge send me back home sooner than the day i finish my training ?

This isn't a crime of moral turpitude, because the maximum sentence is less than a year in jail, so the judge isn't going to deport you and send you home. Also, as I explained, your first court appearance is an "arraignment" - the judge will tell you the charge you are facing and ask how you plea, guilty or not guilty. If you say not guilty, then the case will be put on the court calendar for a later date.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m agree i’m a thief so i will not say i’m not guilty. If i agree i’m guilty so will the decision of the judge be decrease for me or i can be forgiven

They will likely sentence you that day, and while they won't forgive you --if you plead guilty, you will have a criminal conviction, given that you didn't take anything worth much money, any sentence would likely be probation (e.g., something like having to pay a fine, do community service, that sort of thing).

Before you go into court though, I really do think you should speak to a local criminal defense attorney and a local immigration attorney in your area. Most lawyers will offer free or low cost consultations and you don't have to hire them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The police talk to me today said that i have to pay money for the day i come to talk right ? And how much for the fee
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The police said that i will not be going to the jail

The police cannot tell you what the possible sentence is, because it is up to the judge, not them. I don't believe -in my professional opinion -that you will go to jail -but I cannot tell you what the fine would be. That will be up to the judge.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My visa will expired in 1st June so if you said that i will go to the jail so i still stay here for more longer ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not the American people
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is my last question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ah today the police said that i’m a CLD so what it mean

No, it is very,very unlikely that you will go to jail. A judge could sentence you to jail but for such a minor offense with such a low amount taken, that's not likely to happen.

I'm not sure what the police meant when they said you were a CLD. That's not a standard legal term. In what context did they say that (maybe I can figure out what they meant)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They told me that time i’m a CLD so no need to be go to jail
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i find in the law of police CLD mean Citation in lieu of detention

Okay. A citation in lieu of detention -meaning they didn't arrest you and take you to jail, the citation (ticket) they gave you is your "arrest" and you just need to show up to court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a date to show up at the court at 19/3. I just need to come and talk with the judge right
Thankyou a lot. I’m very worried i have to go the jail but i forgot they said i’m just a CLD so i don’t need to go right
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because if i’m going to the jail my job will be end and all my life will be done

Right, you just show up to court. I've been an attorney for over 10 years, and I feel pretty confident saying in my professional opinion, a judge will not give you jail time for this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou thankyou so much. But when the day i’m coming to court does someone representative of walmart come with me to talk or just me and the judge

It's just you and the judge (and the prosecutor who is there handling all other criminal cases that day).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel relax right now woah. So does the court know exactly the money i steal on the walmart on the first day i steal to now

No, the court just knows what you were cited for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou and that is my last question. I’m very happy with your answer

You're very welcome! Please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, so I am credited by the website for my time and assistance. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5 stars. I will rating now

Much appreciated. Have a good weekend.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney