Someone left exposed film at my house for over 8 months, and…

Hello, someone left exposed...

Hello, someone left exposed film at my house for over 8 months, and has not come back to claim it or contacted me in any way. can I throw it away?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, the person has rented a camera from me and left the film in it. He lost some parts to the camera, and was also late in returning it, which created a pursuit of this person by myself, insurance companies, and a 3rd party renal company which my camera was rented through. Eventually he did return the camera, but left his film in it.

3/10/2018
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist. I appreciate your patience while I review your question and type a response.
Thanks for your patience.Under California abandoned property law, you would need to send notice to the owner of the film advising him that he has 15 days to collect the film or it will be discarded. You can send the notice to the person's last known address or whatever address he provided when renting the camera. If you send the notice by mail, provide 18 days. After the time expires, you can discard the film without any legal implications.I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue to provide assistance. If I have answered your question, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are compensated for the help we provide.Good luck!Best,
Attorney 1
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you very much. the renter did not provide any address in which to send a letter. also, his phone number did not work the last time I attempted to call him regarding the missing battery from the rental. There's not too much I can do in getting in touch with him, and really do not want to hold onto his film any longer.

PS - The notice is still required even though the film has been in your possession for 8 months. However, if notice is impossible, you can just throw it out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much, I appreciate your help:)

You're very welcome!

Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer