Is it legal for a city to charge ssa tax via a building

permit fee after the ssa...
Is it legal for a city to charge ssa tax via a building permit fee after the ssa is expired and the ssa was expunged by tax deed sale ? If so under what statute ?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/11/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Could you explain a little more?

What City is this?

What are you referring to as "ssa tax?"

Thank you for your cooperation.

Cortland IL had a special service area where they sold bonds to pay for water and sewer system the end time for the ssa was 2015 and they did not renew it. But are still charging the ssa fee of 8500 per unit before you can build
Ssa stands for special service area

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Ok ty

Your Question:

Response: No, it is not legal. If the program was not renewed, the City has no legal authority to continue to collect the fee. So, you can challenge this fee by filing an appeal with the City to rescind the fee. If your appeal is ignored or denied, then you can file lawsuit against the City for this unauthorized fee.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Is there a statute that we can use specifically to site that ?

See 35 ILCS 200/27-20 to 35 ILCS 200/27-70 especially Sections 27-25- to 27-35 and 27-45 (35 ILCS 200/27-45).

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Fabulous thank you