My daughter received a letter stating she was in default of…

My daughter received a...

My daughter received a letter stating she was in default of student loans. She never had student loans. When she asked for a copy, she received 3 loans totaling over 150,000.00. They were for a friend and she was listed as co-signer. However, she did not sign for these loans and you can clearly tell the signatures are not hers. I told her to file a police report for forgery. A school lawyer called her today and she informed them that she was going to file a police report. The woman (lawyer) told her not to. She told her to just write a letter opting out of the loans. Excuse me. She never signed for them in the 1st place. I think she should still file a report. Am I right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

About a year ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

3/10/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I would have your daughter file a police report; I would also contact the lender(s) shown on the loan documents she was provided and inform them that those are not her signatures on those loans and that she never signed or agreed to co-sign for them; I would contact the Department of Education and inform them of this situation (some contact info is here https://www2.ed.gov/about/contacts/gen/index.html?src=ft ). There have been a number of financial aid/student loan fraud situations and reporting to the Department of Education would make a report/file and may also lead to investigation that could uncover what happened. I'm not sure if your daughter has contacted or spoken with the friend - and I'm sure she doesn't want to get the friend in trouble - but contacting that individual and getting a letter (or better a sworn statement) that your daughter did not co-sign the loans would also be helpful. I would also suggest your daughter check her credit report with all three credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion - to ensure the loans are not appearing on her credit report. If they are, she should utilize those agencies' report dispute procedures to file all necessary requests to remove those fraudulent debts.

I am sorry your daughter is dealing with this and I hope a quick resolution is forthcoming.

If you need further help, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

​Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She did contact the lenders and the school. The lawyer from the school is the one who told her not to file a police report, but to write a letter to the loan institution to opt out of the loan. To me that makes no sense, to opt out of a loan you didn't sign for. It is on her credit reports. She also contacted her friend who claims she knows nothing about these loans.

I agree with your assessment. Either someone forged her signature personally or there is a larger student loan fraud operation and in either case, a police report protects her and hopefully starts an investigation that will figure out what happened. If her friend knows nothing of the loans, I would also encourage her to report to all the various entities identified. I do hate that this is happening but reporting and documenting only further supports your daughter's claims that she did not sign.

Best of luck!

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer