I'm separated and have been for about 4 years my wife and…

I'm separated and have...

I'm separated and have been for about 4 years my wife and her boyfriend bought a house about 30 miles away. What are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have kept our separation amicable, and I split off 25% of my pay for her. But she didn't talk to me about the move, she just did it.

3/10/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Under Texas law, all property acquired during the marriage is community property and subject to a 50/50 split at the time of divorce. Unless you've gotten a legal separation, you're still legally married and could claim a portion of the equity in the house during a divorce. A signed separation agreement would also cut off the acquisition of community property. Otherwise, you can ask the judge to grant you half of her share (which would most likely be 25% of any equity).

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

My question is not about the property but about our children.
What rights do I have regarding our kids?

I'm sorry. There is no mention of children at all in your original question.

Until there is a court order, married parents have equal rights to the children of the marriage. That means you don't have a right to take them from her, but she wouldn't have a right to take them from you, either. The way to get a court order is to file for divorce.

Custody will be based on what is in the best interests of the child. The judge can consider that she is committing adultery.

When possible, the judge will try to work out a way that the children can have an ongoing relationship with both parents. Thirty miles isn't so far that you couldn't share custody 50/50, but some of that depends on the roads in your area and how long it would actually take to drive.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Ok thanks for the help

You're welcome! Have a good night.