If my father died while I was incarcerated, and my step

Customer Question
If my father died...

If my father died while I was incarcerated, and my step mother refused to allow me a deathbed visit & also omitted me completely from his obituary, can that be used to show maliciousness? She also read his last will and testament but showed no one else (she has had a massive gambling issue for forty years). She gave stuff only to her two children with my father, yet I received nothing. Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I only know she threw away my stuff and sold the house real fast

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have family from my dads side that can vouch for all I’ve said. Mainly his sister my aunt

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, no, it is not illegal to deny you a visit I am afraid. There are no laws mandating that you had a right to the deathbed visit and legally she did not have to put you in the obituary. If the last will was submitted to surrogate court, the court had to read the will and probate is mandatory, so you can check in surrogate court to see what the will stated.

If the will did not provide for you to get anything, then legally you have no claim against her I am very sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.