My son was hurt at a school. He had to have stitches and…

Customer Question
My son was hurt...

My son was hurt at a school. He had to have stitches and almost severed his knee. It was bad. I have pictures. This was 3-4 years ago. I now have 2 collections on my credit report from the hospital visit. How do I go about getting the collections paid by the school he was hurt at?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There was an incident report filed at the school. They have since changed locations.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want the school or school board to pay for my sons medical expenses that are now on my credit report.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

When a child is injured at school, the parents insurance is the primary payor. If your insurance did not pay and it is now 3-4 years ago this is a huge issue, because you are beyond the statute of limitations for your insurance claim and if it was 3-4 years ago, the FL statute of limitations for you to file a claim in court for the bills is 4 years from date of the bill. If you missed that statute of limitations it is too late for you to do anything.

You need to get the copies of the bills and you need to contact the school's risk management office to find out why they did not pay their share and if they still refuse to pay, if you missed the statute of limitations you can do nothing more. If you are still under the statute of limitations you can sue the school in court for the bills.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.