My Sister,Brother and I own farm land and currently rent to…

Customer Question
My Sister,Brother and I...

My Sister,Brother and I own farm land and currently rent to a farmer and a hunting club. Do we need liability insurance in the event of accident and or injury? The hunting club has insurance. Can we solve this situation by having all parties to sign wavers?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sorry, the Eastern Shore of M.d. Vienna, Md

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Hopefully, that sums it up; thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/10/2018
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been an attorney for 20 years. It is always advisable to have your own insurance to ensure full coverage in the case of an accident or injury. The cost of that insurance should be reasonable if you can provide proof of insurance of the hunting club. Insurance can get tricky though. If both you and the hunting club have insurance and an accident happens while the hunting club is using your property, you would want to be sure the hunting club's policy would be the "primary" insurance. If both the hunting club and the farmer (who should also have insurance) have policies and they and their members (for the hunting club) sign waivers that provides some protection but you would also want both the farmer and the hunting club to sign indemnity provisions/agreements that provided for them to indemnify you or your insurer (if you decide to get insurance) should an accident or injury occur during their use of the property and resulting in any claim of damages against or payment of damage by you. The best course may be to speak to an insurance agent and evaluate your insurance options. Even if you get insurance, I would suggest a waiver of liability and indemnity agreement between you as landowners and anyone you allow to use the property.

I hope this is helpful. If you need further assistance, please respond to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.