The dentist I saw gave me an estimate of $12k, after seeing…

The dentist I saw...

The dentist I saw gave me an estimate of $12k, after seeing both X-rays and fiber optic views of my teeth. Total bill wound up being $46k. What kind of lawyer do I need to pursue a claim against him?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I have documentation of both estimate and actual charges

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything. That's the bones of it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did you have a written contract with the dentist? If yes, did it specify any provision for going over the estimate?

Not a contract, just the written estimate.

Thank you for the additional information.

You may have a claim for dental malpractice. So, you will want an attorney who handles those types of claims.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online with me?

Loren, Attorney