I have a tenant who has just become physically disabled. He…

I have a tenant...

I have a tenant who has just become physically disabled. He is renting a room in my home which has access to the street through 15 stairs or if he goes through my home, six stairs. He lost his leg due to his refusal to medicate and care for his diabetes. He's been a tenant for the past four years and has had foot issues, but denied having diabetes. On the 14th of February, he was rushed to the hospital by another tenant as he had passed out on the bathroom floor in his room. I want to know what my obligation is to such a tenant and what are my legal options. I suffer with anxiety and just the knowledge that this tenant refused to address his health concerns me greatly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He is being released from the hospital in a few days. I want to amend his rental agreement to address this new situation and how it affects my home and family, but I don't know what to write.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what my options/obligations are as landlord regarding this issue.

3/9/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I understand. I'm just looking for some guidance.
I'd rather text please.
.

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Thank you.

I'm really sorry to hear about you and your roommate's situation. Generally, a landlord has to make sure that their place is habitable and to ensure there are no unreasonable barriers for a disabled tenant. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that new construction and elements of buildings altered after January 26, 1992, must comply with ADA standards to the maximum extent feasible. If your place was built after that time, then you would need to have it reconfigured to be ADA compliant.

If it was built before that time, it doesn't need to be.

When was the home built?

1926

I see. If this is the case, you don't have to totally renovate the entirely place. The ADA only requires that even for existing facilities, landlords and property owners must remove “architectural and communication barriers” that are structural in nature when it is “readily achievable” to do so. All this really means is that if you need to put in some ramps, widen doorways, or otherwise remove the barriers that would make it unreasonable for him to live there, then you'll be in compliance with the ADA. Because I haven't seen your house, i can't tell you for sure how to make that work, but speak with your tenant and find out maybe what they need so you can reduce the barriers to him accessing the place.

How else can I help you today?

That kind of reconfiguration would be very costly for me and would ruin the original structure of the main house. I sincerely don't want to go through that kind of restructuring for one person. Do I have any other legal option?

I understand. So, practically speaking, you probably won't need to reconfigure the entire house. For you to get into any trouble, he would have to file a complaint with HUD or your local state agency with complaints. I think the best thing that you can do and what you should do is find out what he needs. For instance, if he could just a simple railing across the walls to stay upright, if he needs a seat in the bath tub, or if he just needs to have something moved to help himself out a bit more, you'll be fulfilling your obligation.

How else can I help you today?

I appreciate this very much. I feel though that this is taking me out of my landlord status and placing me into a quasi-nursemaid situation. I will, however, talk with him and do my best to preserve my home and my sanity. Thank you for your guidance and assistance. LM Lopez

I agree. It's tough to be in your position, but we're here to help.

Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer