What is required for the copyright of an image and logo? And…

What is required for the...
What is required for the copyright of an image and logo? And also, a website? Websites are so fluid how can you keep a copyright on one?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources.

Give me a few moments and I will provide some information for you. It will take a short time to put together.

For anything that you create, images, logos, books, poems, websites, copy on websites, and the list goes on, you can register the copyright at the US Copyright Office and this can even been done online. It is very straightforward and there is a link here.

US copyright law is very helpful to those who create original works in that as soon as something is created, copyright attaches and you can note the original work as your own if you did in fact create it. The registration does not make it any more copy written, rather the registration provides an applicable date by which, as a result of the registration, all are on notice that the copyright belongs to you. If you have a copyright registered and someone infringes upon it, you merely have to show that the use was after your registration and that it was not authorized. This registration also provides the registered holder with some specific levels of damages that Courts can and will award. If the copyright is not registered then it is your burden as the copyright holder to show that the copyright belonged to you prior to the unauthorized use.

As to web pages, they too can be registered and most who copyright webpages will from time to time go back and re-register them if there has been substantial changes. As well, most sites extend their copyright notice annually by noting it on the website in a fashion such as "(c) 2010-2018 ***** *****". It is also a good idea to note each page with a copyright mark to make sure all who use the page are on notice and it is also a good idea to address use of material off of the website in terms and conditions and to have a notice on the website that use of the website denotes acceptance of the terms and conditions.

Some things on the website such as links cannot be copy written.

One take away is to come to the realization that the more popular a web site gets, the more likely that someone will harvest copy or images to use on their own site. It is important to police this and if there is an infringement, let the person know that your copyright is being infringed and that you will enforce the copyright.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer
Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer