My question is about western union.. Not currently

Hi yes my question...

Hi yes my question is about western union

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not currently

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was involved in a rental scam. I sent money through a wire transfer from Western Union. I quickly realized what I had done and filed a police report, filed a claim with PNC my bank, and filed a scam report with WU. Western Union said they already let the funds be collected and they wouldn’t refund me the money. PNC refunded me the money and now I am getting emails from WU risk collections saying I owe them the amount of he money defrauded because PNC I suppose took it back from them to give back to me once I showed PNC the police report. Western Union is trying to tell me I now am liable to them? What is my course of action from here.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can they send me to collections?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 4 days by:
3/14/2018
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has
not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed
assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me
know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please continue
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, Western Union is merely a conduit and they merely acted on your instructions to deliver money as you directed, which they did.

So, yes, if they want to, they can pursue this in collections. They were not a party to the scam.

You may want to wait and see how aggressively they pursue this. If they do not go away, you should contact them and try to settle it with them at a substantial discount.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do nto want you blindsied by liability.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand. Now I have called PNC my bank to ask what is going on. The customer service rep said the notes from my dispute show that when PNC investigated they reached out to the financial institution that backs Western Union and that the financial institution agreed I was defrauded and agreed to release the money back to PNC. Does that change the situation at all in liability to Western Union?
It does not really change the WU position or exposure, unless they concluded that WU was the party defrauding you.
Again, I wish I could tell you otherwise.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not a problem Loren, obviously this isn’t your fault and I can’t get mad at you. Interestingly enough, I logged into Western Union and it shows that transaction as a cancelled one. So I will just follow your advice and leave it alone and hope they lose interest.
That is really all you can do right now. The ball is in their court.
You are very welcome.If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney