I have started employment with new company with my STEM OPT…

I have started employment with...
I have started employment with new company with my STEM OPT EAD card that is due to expire in JUNE. I just came to know that the employer is not e-verified. What are the options I have? Can the company apply for H1B right away so I can continue the employment
3/9/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hi there,

Thank you for requesting my assistance. Did you speak with the company to determine if they are e-verified?

The HR says they are not e-verified but it is a big Hospital and I was shocked now. What are the options now. I am already on my 24 month OPT extension valid for another 4 months.

Is the hospital a third party contracting with your employer? Or are they the direct employer?

They are the direct employer, I am working for one of the department of the affiliate

Is the employer an institution of higher education or a related or affiliated nonprofit entity, or a nonprofit research organization, or a governmental research organization?

The entity is a non-profit organization and is affiliated to a university and they are H1b CAP exempt

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: If that is the case, then the best thing to do is to start the H1B process as soon as possible, since it is not cap subject and therefore doesn't have to wait for the cap.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started