Invasion of privacy by landlord. He has a security camera…

Customer Question
Invasion of privacy by...

Invasion of privacy by landlord. He has a security camera but use it for intruding on our family privacy

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Also make unannounced visit to our apartment and take pictures of our quarters without advance notice. Never be late for rent and he has another tenant filing lawsuit against him

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not by me but another tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is cpmplrtely harassment and he tries to tell us who is allowed to come in and out of our apartment and who is allowed to resided with us. We have family members that we are trying to care for and keep from becoming hpmeless.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Ok
3/9/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment because they have a security camera and are dropping in unannounced.. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to consider just writing a letter detailing the problems and demand that they rectify this situation or you will move off the property and not pay any rent thereafter as allowed by law. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Another cause of action that you may have is that you may have a cause of action for intrusion upon seclusion. This occurs when someone is intruding upon your reasonable expectation of privacy.

Both of these issues may be enough to not only cancel the lease, but also brin a lawsuit if you need to.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Ok, how soon can this take effect and get a resolution to our situation?

If you go the informal route, it could be immediate; however, if you go to court, that could take a little bit longer, but at least you could have a judge's back up. How else can I help you today?

Landlord is here. Please wait until landlord leave.

No problem.

Ok, just let me know if you have other questions for me today.